Books that help with Topic Selection
Gail Virtual Reference Library
Identify keywords and concepts
Keywords and concepts describe the main idea(s) of your topic and enable you to focus your research.
- Based on your assigned texts, jot down the terms that you identify as the keywords and main concepts.
- Use background information from reference sources such as the Gale Virtual Reference Library to find additional keywords and synonyms.
- Group the keywords by concept.
- Identify synonyms of your keywords (e.g., synonyms for "teenagers" are adolescents, youths, and children).
Writing Argumentative Papers
- Choose a topic which has at least two sides.
- Provide background to the issue to help the audience understand the debate.
- Use unbiased sources to defend your view with reason, accuracy, fairness and relevant evidence.
- Know and address your opposition.
- Present an impressive conclusion.
Controversial Topic Ideas
American Housing Collapse
Children's Online Protection Laws
Conservation of Natural Resources
Convicted Felons' Rights
Corporate Tax Rate & Jobs
Flat Tax Rate
National Retail Sales Tax